What does it cost to host a French Teaching Intern?

As a host institution, you are responsible for paying the Intern a suggested monthly stipend of $500 USD. We require a minimum monthly stipend of $300. In addition, you are responsible for paying for the Intern’s health insurance, which is a pre-selected plan of $76 per month. Host institutions are also responsible for the administrative and counseling fees to our partner visa sponsor organization, amounting to approximately $1,700 for the year. As a host school, it is your responsibility to find a host family for the Intern who can provide lodging and meals. Between the host school and host family, you will help to organize a reasonable and accessible transportation plan for the Intern. 

How many French Teaching Interns can I host during the year?

You can host more than one French Teaching Intern at your school at a time; in fact we work with many schools host multiple Interns. We will work with you to ensure your school meets the criteria for staff to Intern ratio of our partner visa sponsor.

Do I need to provide insurance for the Intern?

Yes, it is obligatory that the host school cover the costs of a health insurance plan for the Intern for his or her time in the US. This plan will amount to approximately $76 per month, the details of which you will discuss with the visa sponsor organization. In addition, in order to host an Intern, your school must certify that you hold a workers’ compensation insurance policy in accordance with state laws, or provide documentation of exemption if your school is not required to carry such a policy in your state.

My school is newly formed; can we still host an Intern?

Your school needs to have been in operation for at least one year and you should be able to provide their Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN), and also provide proof of accreditation and the name of the accrediting agency. In some cases, new schools or schools with new administrators will be subject to further examination by our partner visa sponsor agency.

Do I need to provide transportation for the Intern?

Your school will need to work with the host family and the school community to ensure that the Intern has adequate transportation to and from work. In some cases, teachers are able to provide rides for the Intern, in other cases the host families can manage these duties. Some schools have used tools like sign-up genius or other tools to recruit parents and community members for ride shares. Another option is paying for public transportation passes for the Intern, if that is available in your community. In addition to simply providing transport to and from work, please note that host families are expected to include the Intern in some family activities on weekends, help the Intern explore the community, and generally facilitate the Intern’s integration into the culture and the community.

Could the Intern borrow a car and drive?

Before lending a family vehicle to an Intern it is important to clarify insurance and liability in case of an accident or loss. Not all Interns are able to drive or have the required experience locally necessary (heavy traffic, weather condition, etc.) Regulations concerning the necessary licensing should be explored on a state by state basis.


What are the requirements for host families?

Host Families provide a private room in their home and three meals free of charge to the Intern. Host Families integrate the Intern into their life and community. The host family should also live within a reasonable commute to the school in which the Intern will be working, be able to provide transportation for the Intern (see above), and generally serve to provide a safe home for the Intern, facilitate the Intern’s integration into the community and school, and provide ample opportunity to learn about American culture and practice English.

Should we compensate host families?

Host Families are mainly volunteers who are providing room/board free of charge because they want to support their school and enjoy interaction with an International Intern. While it is not against program rules to compensate host families for groceries or some expenses, regular payments or financial incentives for host families are not advised or allowed.

Can the Intern babysit or give French lessons for the host family?

The primary role of the host family is to provide room and board to the Intern, facilitate transportation, and give the Intern access to opportunities to practice his or her English, interact with the community, and become immersed in American culture. While occasional babysitting or French lessons may be a permitted, it would clearly go beyond the scope of the Internship to expect the Intern to provide daily lessons, or serve as an au pair during their Internship in the US. 


What is the role is the visa sponsor organization and what will our school’s relationship with them look like?

The visa sponsor functions as a liaison between all parties, the Intern, the host school, and the host family. The visa sponsor handles and advises on visa related matters and provides assistance throughout the entire Internship through trained staff members. The host school is held accountable for providing training as described in the T/IPP and submits evaluations to the sponsor. 

How will I interview candidates?

After you school has been cleared as a potential host school by our visa sponsor agency, and after the Embassy and the CIEP has completed the pre-selection process for French Teaching Intern candidates (April), we will send the candidates to the visa sponsor agency. Then, the visa sponsor agency will work with you to conduct video interviews with your candidate/s (April-May). Once the host school and the candidate are matched, then school and Intern will continue with the J-1 Intern visa application process.

What does the $1,700 administrative fee for the visa sponsorship cover?

•Visa - provide visa sponsorship and handle all required administrative paperwork
•Health insurance - offer Interns access to group health insurance policy (cost to be paid by host school)
•Pre-departure orientation - provide information regarding visa process, travel arrangements, living in the US, cultural adjustment and home-stay requirement
•Orientation - provide orientation materials for all participants and conduct regional orientations where feasible 
•Program materials - provide handbooks and other printed material for all participants, ensuring a comprehensive overview of the program
• Supervision and assessment - monitor assignment and Intern’s progress
• Program Counselors:
o Guide Interns through the visa application process
o Remain in contact with all program participants
o Act as mediators for any issues or problems 
o Keep accurate, detailed records of each assignment
o Provide ongoing monitoring and support
o Review evaluations 


What is the Intern’s role?

The Intern follows a formal Training/Internship Placement Plan, created by the school. Duties vary from school to school but should be focused on providing the Intern with practical teaching experience in the classroom setting. As a host school, you should ensure that the Intern obtains skills, knowledge, and competencies through structured and guided activities such as classroom training, seminars, rotation through several departments, on-the-job training, attendance at conferences, and other learning activities. You should also ensure the Intern receives continuous on-site supervision and mentoring by experienced and knowledgeable staff.

Are there activities that the Intern cannot do?

The Intern cannot teach independently without a certified teacher present. The Intern cannot function as substitute teacher. The Intern should not be used for clerical or administrative work in excess of 4 hours per week. The Intern may not take a position reserved for an American staff member or student teacher. The Intern cannot perform ‘work’, as opposed to internship activities, or perform unskilled tasks during the majority of their training/internship program. (Examples include: Teaching classes while unsupervised, Bookkeepers, Cashiers, Cleaners, Servers, Janitors, Groundskeepers, Housekeepers, etc.)

Can the Intern work at more than one school? For example, can the Intern work in several schools in our district on different days of the week?

No, the Intern must work at one school during the school year, and may not move around between multiple schools in a district or community. The Intern can attend events in other schools, and can visit other schools in the district to gain exposure. But his or her primary function should be within one school.

What happens if our school has an issue with the Intern?

The visa sponsor assigns trained staff Program Counselors to each school and their Intern(s) to assist with problems and /or emergencies.

How long can the Intern stay at my school?

The Intern can stay at the school for the agreed upon term not to exceed 10 months.

Can I help the Intern extend his or her time in the US, or try to hire the Intern as a full-time teacher?

No. The Intern is coming for a specific program and term and is expected to return home at the end of the Internship. The J-1 visa is a temporary visa that is issued for a specific program. Host schools should not play a role in helping the Intern extend a visa, as this extension is not possible, and should not hope to hire an Intern as a full-time teacher after his or her assistantship has ended. This is a violation of the State Department’s recommendations, as the Intern’s primary purpose in the US is to advance his or her education and subsequent contributions to his or her home country.

What do I need to do to orient the Intern when he/she arrives at my school?

The Intern should be given a tour of the school, meet his/her teacher and be introduced to other staff. It is also important to provide information on expectations, safety and school policies regarding student behavior, dress code etc.
In addition, the visa sponsor will provide either regional orientation meetings or printed material for those in remote areas.